Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Attitude change

Roses are one of my favorite flowers, especially hybrid tea roses.

However, I never really tried to plant them because I'm a lazy gardener and I knew they wouldn't survive. They need a lot of care to make sure they thrive.

Sounds like wife/women care.

Of course, everyone has different needs and wants in their lives, and some thrive better in some conditions than others. But in general, I think women are at their best when they are nurtured, watered and given regular attention--even when ugly bits are lovingly and carefully pruned. All people have such needs, but I'm focusing on women for a reason today.

Some roses are tough and resilient, some grow wild with little care except what nature brings. But to have hybrid tea roses, a lot more attention is involved.

Hybrid teas produce one glorious blossom at the end of a stem, rather than clusters. They have an open bloom, rather than a bushy one. They are repeat bloomers during the season in a variety of colors and offer wonderful fragrance.

To get the best of the rose, it needs regular watering, pruning, mulching and fertilizing. It needs to be protected from evil aphids and other things that will drain its lifeblood and attack its source of nutrients.

Unfortunately, some roses die under their caretakers for lack of attention. Left to thrive on their own, they send warning signals, such as wilting leaves, droopy heads, and no fragrance. If not looked after, they literally snap and die.

My life history is fraught with conditions that have not been good for a hybrid tea rose--sometimes not even a desert bloom. I'm not whining--it is what it is, and has been the way I grew up and lived as an adult. I'm not alone, everyone has a story to tell.

I've adjusted. I've come to realize that I survive as a Yucca.

Yuccas are actually quite attractive. They are found mostly in dry regions, love sunshine, and produce attractive pendulous bell to cup-shaped white or greenish-cream flowers sometimes tinted with pink or purple. Tall, with interesting leaves, they add a dramatic element to the garden, and are pretty much self-sufficient.

Yuccas are also useful for crafts, dyes, herbal tea and a variety of purposes. It was a favorite of Native Americans.

I mentioned recently to my niece that I figured out I can't expect to live a productive life as a hybrid tea rose, so I'm changing my name to Yucca.

She laughed, and calls me Yuccaphine and a few other endearing variations.

I laugh too. Really. Life is a whole lot easier when I'm not waiting to be watered by humans.

Smile with me today.

9 comments:

  1. Confession - never have had much love or adoration for roses. Yuccas all the way, I say! May Yuccamooloo continue to find her feet in this, the driest continent (excluding Antarctica), where desert blooms take one's breath away... and thoughts and thanks are sent towards our Creator for such an extravagant spectacle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Life is a whole lot easier when I'm not waiting to be watered by humans!" Got my wheels turning... I love the way you said it because it made me understand and realize where our Lifesource should come from - GOD and not our fellow humans. Human beings fail each other miserably - I love my fellow humans - don't get me wrong! How do we love without expectations - expectations that seem to never be met? Anyway - no answers here my dear friend - just love how that one line got my head spinning in about 100 different directions! ha! See? God is GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, I believe that though a hybrid tea rose can try and outwardly look like a yucca (like the birds on galeopgose island did)but inside it is still a tea rose that needs the daily attention, water, food and yes, love. It may be able to hang on through a few seasons looking on the outside strong and rugged but the roots are still shallow and week. It will not thrive. I just wish that at the gardening stores it was the flowers that picked the gardeners rather than the other way around so that they got the perfect gardener for their unique needs. So each individual flower whether it be yucca, hybrid tea rose or whatever could be sure that it has the environment to thrive, to bloom and to be beautiful for all those to appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes. I do agree with Mark. I love my Heidi-friend's optimism, but we are what God made us and we need what He gave us to need. We cannot choose to be, we are created to be. I know that tooooo well. You know me, Heidi. You know I tried to be optimistic that I was a fine stone wall, only to break like the orchid. Must've looked pretty silly standing there ignoring God's voice saying, "That's not what I made you for," as the hurricane whipped me into shreds. God can surround the orchid, or the tea rose, but it remains just that and He surrounds it as He chooses. Thanks, Heidi-friend, for putting up with me. You are a tea rose in my eyes, still.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, then the Yucca is certainly a noble, strong, and beautiful plant. great comparison

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you use tea roses to describe women. It fits so perfectly! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! So much to say about tea roses and Yuccas. Thanks friends and others for your thoughts. It's springtime here in Australia and I've been thinking a lot about what to plant. I happened to find a Yucca..."Adam's Needle" by name, and it got me thinking. More on this sooner than later, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS to Jacquiphineas, thanks from Yuccamooloo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Indira, you're absolutely correct. Thanks my friend for your insight. We should not wait to be watered by humans. So we wait for God, and our roots grow deep.

    ReplyDelete

What are your ponderings?