Monday, November 3, 2008

A mother's plea

The following poem is by Ruth Bell Graham, adjusted in the first line to reflect my own brood of two. (She had five.) Sometimes someone else is able to articulate things better than I what I feel. My daughter and son's birthdays are within three weeks of each other every autumn. I pondered in October and November and found this:

"[Two] I have:
each separate,

distinct,
a soul
bound for eternity: and I
--blind
leader of the blind--
groping and fumbling,
casual and concerned,
by turn...
undisciplined, I seek
by order and command
to discipline and shape;
(I who need Thy discipline to shape
my own disordered soul.)
O Thou
Who seest the heart's
true, deep desire,
each shortcoming and
each sad mistake,
supplement
and
overrule,
nor let our children be
the victims of our own
unlikeness unto Thee. "
RBG [Sitting By My Laughing Fire]

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your ponderings?