Saturday, March 1, 2008

Aussie Sayings

Australians have unique ways of expressing themselves...

Regarding someone with acne..."They've got a head like a ruptured rice bubble."

Anger..."I was so angry I could crack coconuts with me bum cheeks."

Morning look..."He's got a face that looks like a kicked-in jam tin."

"Struth!" (A saying that denotes shock and unbelief)

"That's as useless as a hip pocket on a singlet (t-shirt)."

"He's got a head like a racing tadpole."

"That tastes as bad as the bottom of a cockies' cage."

"That's rougher than Hessian undies." (burlap)

"I went down the frog and toad to the rubadubdub. On the way I saw a joe blake, it made me almost jump into the black tea where I could've been eaten by a Noah's ark. At the rubabdubdub, I bought a dog's eye with dead horse. " Rhyming slang translation: "I went down the road to the pub. On the way I saw a snake, it made me almost jump into the sea where I could've been eaten by a shark. At the pub, I bought a meat pie with tomato sauce (ketchup)."

1 comment:

  1. Heidi, i've started a charity group to send "linguistic relief" aid to Australia. we're taking on the acronym "ARUBADUBDUB."
    could you send some photos of your tribe in their natural habitat? you know, something with the potential to evoke a feeling of pity that is necessary in fund raising.

    in the meantime, please don't do anything that might lead you into a hessian situation.
    -a big hug for you
    byro

    ReplyDelete

What are your ponderings?