Friday, March 7, 2008

Thoughts on a 1998 Washington morning

Nearly ten years ago...

"It's quiet while the kids are in school. I hear the faint click of the mantel clock, the hum of a fish tank, the low rumble and swish of the washer and dryer, and the loud chirp of a robin outside.

I take deep breaths. Autumn is making its arrival in daily steps across my piece of land here in the hills. Mornings are cold enough to bite toes and put yellow in cottonwood leaves. Fog clings to dewy green firs, and intermittent showers wash the powdery dust off roadside thimbleberry and blackberry bush leaves. I smell woodsmoke from home fires burning beside warm hearths.

The warm breath of a late afternoon breeze sends loosened, dried leaves spiraling through the air, clattering across dusty roads.

Today I have dreams. Hearts are scary things--dare we trust them? How do we know when a thing is gestated by God or our own dreams and desires? Scripture, obedience, prayer, close communion with my Savior will ensure my safety. Dreams are such gossamer things. Like filmy spiderwebs, beautifully structured but easily broken...but hope springs eternal, doesn't it?

My cat, Lawrence, reminds me of that. He feigns a nap...white paws tucked under his silver-gray chest, eyes closed as if in sleep...under the outdoor bird feeder."

1 comment:

  1. wow
    the writing is so clear, your heart is evident in this.
    good job! awesome word choice!

    ReplyDelete

What are your ponderings?