Monday, January 24, 2011

Treasures

One man's junk is another man's treasure, so I've heard.

I went to a demolition yard recently.

It is astounding to me the amount of junk, and treasure, that people throw away.

Some do with obvious thought as to home projects and such, and others have no idea what treasures they are throwing onto a rubbish heap.

Although I'm not a hard-core craft-ish person who could take intricate wrought-iron ornamentation and turn it into garden or household finery, I wish I could.

Looking at all the piles of discarded stuff made me want to take many and transform objects into points of interest in my new home and yard and invite conversation about its history and renewed finery.

I admire those who can do such things.

While wandering among the piles of rubble, my thoughts turned toward what God, the ultimate Creator and Rescuer, can do, and does in each of us if we let Him.

I think of someone I know who feels he is damaged beyond repair and limited to a life of living in rubble. He chooses to stay there.

I think of myself who often feels like cast-off trash. I choose not to stay there.

Don't most of us experience those thoughts and feelings at some point in our lives? Don't we all know the rejection of our friends, our family, our society and feel more at home in a rubbish pile? Those feelings may not last, but while they are there, it's not a fruitful emotion.

I believe that God created us--all of us, no matter what our "used by" date or "badness"--for more than wallowing in a demolition heap.

He is the One who takes our worn out, dated, corrupted, used-up selves and refurbishes us.

The purpose?

First and foremost, to show others His never-ending, never-give-up sort of love for each one of us, His children. In that vein, He heals us.

And then, we go on to lead lives of peace, joy and satisfaction that only a Potter can give to a lump of clay. Only we can tell the story of how our Redeemer rescued us. No one can tell our story for us.

Psalm 18: 16, "He reached down from on high and took hold of me; He drew me out of deep waters."

Psalm 23: 1-3, "The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul."

Jesus said about Himself, "...the Lord has anointed Me to preach good news to the poor; He has sent Me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners...to comfort all who mourn...to bestow on them a crown of beauty for ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of His splendour." Isaiah 61: 1-3 (selected)

Here's to hope in God of His taking us out of our rubbish heaps and giving us joy and a life worth living with a crown of beauty--outside of the demolition pile.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you. When I think of being the hands and feet of Jesus on earth, your article reminded me that we all need to take the time to be the 're-crafters' of people. To show that in a relationship with Christ that they can rebuilt their lives and become new again. So my dear friend, you may not be able to create beauty from a pile of 'junk' but with your beautiful words you can help people re-create and find a new life in Christ. God bless you sister Heidi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more I think about this posting, the more applicable I am finding it... I'm thinking of wasted time and talent. Wasted energy. If we keep our eyes on the Lord and follow him then it all has meaning again. Thank you Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm smiling through tears, Indira. Thanks so much. You "got" what I'm trying to say, and it makes my heart happy. Much love...Heidi

    ReplyDelete

What are your ponderings?