Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Roots and trees

While traveling along at a slow boat's pace a few weeks ago on the River Murray from Echuca I pondered quite a few things.


There is a story within this tree.

The several hundred kilometres-long Murray, Australia's largest in scope to the Mississippi in America, is low because of the decade-and more-long drought. As a result, tree roots spread along the banks like bony hands reaching for shallow, warm, muddy water.

A Bible verse came to mind...Jeremiah 17:7-8, "But blessed is the man [woman] who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He [she] will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes, it's leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit."

I took several photos of fascinating trees and roots. But there was one set that caught my creative eye, although I failed to get a good photo...

On a stretch, there were two healthy eucalyptus (gum) trees on top of the riverbank, just on the lip of a cliff. Their roots reached into the river about 10 feet below. Between them was a smaller gum tree that had fallen off the ledge but still lived., even though the tip of its roots were just sipping at water.

What struck me as poignant was that the other, mature trees on each side of the adolescent plant held the weaker, younger tree in their branches. In fact, the older branches were so entwined in the younger, that I couldn't see where one's limbs ended and another's began.

Yet, they all thrived.

I am grateful for my mature, older friends...either in biological or spiritual age...that hold me up and help me to gain the nourishment I need to keep going...

even if I'm hanging on to the lip of a cliff.

This is indeed something to ponder...Ecclesiastes 4:9-12, "Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: if one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."

Grateful thanks to those who hold me up, keep me warm, keep me from being overwhelmed, and defending me. More thanks than I can say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your ponderings?