Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Funny

This morning I spent time with a few new women friends.

One of those new friends is a young woman named Krystle.

I liked her. She has red hair, tawny eyes, a smile that lights up the room, and a laugh that resonates.

She also had her five-month old baby girl with her. The little critter's name is Lily Mae. (Yes, I asked about the spelling.)

The last time I saw my granddaughter, Breighlynn Maelee-Jean, she was about the same age. Breighlynn will be a year old on Nov. 4.

I looked at Krystle's child with hungry eyes. I miss my daughter and her daughter.

Lily Mae is all chubby cheeks, arms, and legs, just learning to turn herself over from back to tummy (which Breighlynn did for the first time while I was there in April) and has fat little fingers on a hand that waved in the air while her mommy nursed her.

Of course, I told my new friends about my precious granddaughter, and of course, they commiserated about how hard it must be to be so far away from her. Swallowing the lump in my throat and blinking back instant tears in my eyes, I said, "Yes, it is very hard."

I watched my friend, Anne, hold little Lily Mae. My arms longed to hold that darling little girl, but I wasn't going to ask for the privilege, me being a "stranger" and all.

But at the end of our visit, Krystle picked up the plump little darling, faced her to me, and asked if I wanted to "nurse" her.

WHAT??????

And that's what I said, only more politely.

Krystle repeated herself, holding her daughter within arm's length of me.

I still didn't understand, and told her so.

Krystle laughed, and said, "You know, hold her. Would you like to hold her?"

Very relieved, I laughed, formed my hands around my "nursing area" and told her that I was confused, and that although I may be well endowed, I didn't have much to offer.

Well, that brought down the house with laughter. "Nursing" in Australia means cradling in the arms, not necessarily feeding.

But I didn't care. I just wanted to hold the precious child.

Krystle handed me her chubby little angel who smiled into my face with big blue eyes, and soothed this heart that aches to hold my own granddaughter. And to hold my daughter. I gave Krystle a hug as well.

I look forward to these weekly meetings.

2 comments:

  1. Goodness! Ausies are so barbarian! The metamorphises of language astound me. How did we connotate "cradling" to be what it is when "nursing" is what we actually mea? so, should "nursing" now be called "suckling ones progeny"? Hopeless island you live on...
    im happy nonetheless that you are able to kindle those embers in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my!! That is hilarious! I would have totally thought the same thing! Thanks for the laugh. Luv you!

    ReplyDelete

What are your ponderings?