Friday, March 13, 2009

Cacophany of cockatoos

Writing at my desk,
myraid thoughts
gather speed
about "things."

And I type,
I ponder;
So many things to say
yet I am afraid.

I notice
somewhat reluctantly
the chorus
of birds who distract me.

My thoughts slow down.

I am writing
but the open window
lets in sounds and smells
and nature living life.

How is it
that feathered
friends call
and make me hear?

On this night
kookaburras
laugh and cackle
and other birds listen:

I stop my work of
words and thoughts
and ponder
what is it these birds know?

I hear the
racous calling of
hundreds of cockatoos roosting
In a cacophany of glee.

And I understand,
at least I think I do;
That birds are free
And so am I.

2 comments:

  1. i think this is one of your best pieces of prose. it has a playful rhythm and sounds like you. your voice is crystal in this. good job, mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Heidi...
    I think the birds are usually looking for the next person or car to target...lol....You know the old poem...Birdie birdie in the sky, why'd you do that in my eye? I'm no baby, I don't cry; I'm just glad that cow's don't fly....
    Your friend Ron

    ReplyDelete

What are your ponderings?